Tallahassee, Fla.-As the Florida counties impacted by Tropical Storm Colin start to wash up, the Florida Department of Health reminds everybody to do their half in stopping mosquito breeding. All Florida residents and guests are requested to “Drain and Cover” to assist hold our households and neighbors protected; it solely takes a bottle cap of water for some mosquitoes to breed and multiply.
“We should all do our half to behave shortly to eradicate new sources of standing water introduced on by Tropical Storm Colin, which might quickly turn out to be mosquito breeding websites,” mentioned State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. Celeste Philip. “While we’ve not skilled native transmission of Zika in Florida, we should stay vigilant in our efforts to guard ourselves from mosquito bites in and round our houses.”
To shield in opposition to mosquitoes, the division urges the general public to “Drain and Cover”:
DRAIN standing water:
- Drain water from rubbish cans, buckets, pool covers, coolers, toys, flowerpots or some other containers the place sprinkler or rainwater has collected.
- Discard outdated tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, damaged home equipment and different gadgets that are not getting used.
- Empty and clear birdbaths and pet’s water bowls at the very least a couple of times per week.
- Protect boats and automobiles from rain with tarps that don’t accumulate water.
- Maintain swimming swimming pools in good situation and appropriately chlorinated. Empty plastic swimming swimming pools when not in use.
COVER your pores and skin with:
- CLOTHING – If you should be outdoors when mosquitoes are energetic, cowl up. Wear sneakers, socks, lengthy pants and lengthy sleeves.
- REPELLENT – Apply mosquito repellent to reveal pores and skin and clothes. Always use repellents based on the label. Repellents with 10-30 p.c DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, and IR3535 are efficient.
- Use mosquito netting to guard youngsters youthful than 2 months outdated.
COVER doorways and home windows with screens:
– Keep mosquitoes out of your home. Repair damaged screening on home windows, doorways, porches and patios.
Tips on Eliminating Mosquito Breeding Sites:
- Clean out troughs and gutters;
- Remove outdated tires or drill holes in these utilized in playgrounds to empty;
- Turn over or take away empty plastic pots;
- Pick up all beverage containers and cups;
- Check tarps on boats or different gear which will gather water;
- Replace water in birdbaths and pet or different animal feeding dishes at the very least as soon as per week;
- Change water in plant trays, together with hanging crops, at the very least as soon as per week; and
- Remove vegetation or obstructions in drainage ditches that stop the circulate of water.
The division has created a public service announcement on the “Drain and Cover” technique, which you’ll view right here.
Click right here for our downloadable poster on stopping mosquito bites.
For extra info on mosquito-borne sickness prevention, go to our web site.
The division, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to guard, promote and enhance the well being of all folks in Florida by built-in state, county and group efforts.