“While the world is concentrated on COVID-19 prevention and response, this is a crucial reminder that we proceed to see circumstances of West Nile Virus most years in Long Beach,” City Health Officer Dr. Anissa Davis mentioned in an announcement. “We can’t let our guard down towards mosquito-borne ailments.”
The first circumstances had been initially reported in Northern California this yr.
No mosquitoes in Long Beach have been discovered to be constructive for the virus to date this season.
The virus is transmitted by way of the chunk of an contaminated Culex mosquito and should embrace signs resembling fever, physique aches, rash, nausea, vomiting and headache. Most individuals who turn out to be contaminated haven’t any signs.
Long Beach well being officers are advising residents to take the next precautions:
– Prevent mosquito bites by making use of insect repellent with EPA-registered energetic substances DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or lemon eucalyptus earlier than you go exterior.
– Wear long-sleeved shirts and lengthy pants if spending time exterior throughout daybreak and nightfall. WNV-carrying mosquitoes are most energetic throughout these instances.
– Install or restore door and window screens.
– Dump and drain standing water round your private home.
– Report giant quantities of mosquitoes by visiting www.longbeach.gov/mosquitoes.