The Mosquito Control Bureau is answerable for controlling the mosquito inhabitants in Union County. The bureau inspects, constructs, and maintains drainage ditches to remove standing water the place mosquitoes breed.
In an effort to curb the bugs’ exercise , the Bureau of Mosquito Control sprays in varied areas inside Union County on each a scheduled and ‘as-needed’ foundation.
Persons who want to reduce direct publicity to pesticides, whether or not from Mosquito Control actions or from their private use, can take the next customary precautions:
- When doable, keep indoors when pesticides are in use outside.
- Close air conditioner vents or select the “re-circulate” perform.
- Remove outside toys, or wash them earlier than utilizing once more.
- Remove laundry from clotheslines, or wash it.
- Wash all produce completely with water.
Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, and a single feminine wants solely a small quantity of water to put a whole bunch of eggs. To assist hold the mosquito inhabitants down, residents and enterprise homeowners can verify their property for any locations the place small quantities of water can accumulate corresponding to empty flower pots, pool covers, and kids’s toys.
In specific, roof gutters needs to be checked for sagging or blocked areas the place water can accumulate. Litter and particles, particularly discarded tires, are different favourite breeding websites.
The following customary precautions assist to scale back the chance of mosquito bites:
- When doable, restrict time outside between nightfall and daybreak, when mosquitoes are most lively.
- Weather allowing, put on lengthy and light-colored clothes.
- Use a repellent permitted to be used on pores and skin and clothes, and to comply with all directions on the label fastidiously. Additional steering on mosquito repellents is accessible from the Centers for Disease Control.
- Use window screens and verify them periodically for tears or holes.
Mosquito infestations could be reported by calling the Union County Mosquito Hotline at 908-654-9834 throughout enterprise hours. County inspectors will look at the property and supply steering on eliminating breeding websites. If wanted, the inspectors may also survey the encircling space.