The Karachi illness outbreak has been making rounds on the native information channels and on on-line blogs. The mysterious illness was rumored to be Chikungunya and had affected greater than 30,000 individuals from Malir in Karachi.
It seems that Chikungunya was not the mysterious illness and the stories of it being the wrongdoer behind the outbreak have been false. World Health Organization and the Ministry of Health launched a press release that clearly stated that there are not any circumstances of Chikungunya in Pakistan and any stories in regards to the illness spreading within the nation are false.
Read More: No Cases of Chikungunya Infection in Pakistan: WHO
With that out of the best way, lets see what Chikungunya is about. According to Sun Tzu’s well-known quote within the Art of War,
If you realize the enemy and know your self, you needn’t worry the results of 100 battles.
Knowing extra in regards to the illness, its causes, prevention and signs will profit us in the long term as nicely. World Health Organization has additionally launched a well being advisory for a similar as nicely in order that individuals are conscious and educated on the challenges that face them.
Chikungunya virus is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. These are the identical mosquitoes that unfold the Dengue virus as nicely. These mosquitoes dwell and breed close to stagnant or polluted water and infect people with their chew. The feminine mosquito is the one which transmits the Chikungunya virus.
Although the illness is just not contagious, it will probably unfold from an contaminated individual to others if the mosquito feeds on the contaminated individual first after which bites different individuals, with the contaminated blood being transmitted within the course of.
The signs for Chikungunya and Dengue are comparable. One could be mistaken for the opposite. They seem between 4-7 days after the affected person has been bitten by an contaminated mosquito.
The signs are:
- Fever and joint ache,
- Headache, muscle ache, joint swelling, or widespread purple rash,
- Joint ache (decrease again, ankle, knees, wrists or phalanges),
- Fatigue, nausea and vomiting are additionally recognized to happen,
- Rarely mouth ulcers, lack of style and conjunctivitis has been reported.
The illness isn’t deadly and the virus stays your system for 5-7 days. Once you recuperate from this an infection you may be resistant to it for the remainder of your life.
Newborn infants, older residents and individuals with persistent medical circumstances are at the next threat of contracting Chikungunya.
Usual measures to counter mosquitoes that unfold Malaria and Dengue can be utilized to counter Chikungunya as nicely
- Take further precaution from daybreak to nightfall
- Maintain good hygiene and take precautions whereas travelling
- Wear protecting clothes with lengthy sleeved shirts and lengthy pants with socks and footwear.
- Reduce mosquito habitat by eliminating sources of rubbish, stagnant water and sewers.
- Use mosquito repellent
As talked about earlier, the signs for Dengue and Chikungunya are comparable. You ought to get laboratory affirmation to make certain about it. There isn’t any particular therapy or antiviral drug accessible for Chikungunya.
No industrial vaccines for the virus can be found both.
Here are a few of the finest practices you possibly can observe if you’re affected by Dengue or Chikungunya:
- Drink loads of fluids to stop dehydration from vomiting and excessive fever
- Plenty of relaxation is suggested
- Avoid ache relievers like aspirin (eg. Disprin), ibuprofen (eg. Brufen) and naproxen sodium
- The above talked about ache relievers could make the signs worse due to this fact they need to be prevented.
- Non-aspirin analgesics like paracetamol could be taken.