The mosquitos are on the market. And clearly they wish to feast on me (see my beautiful, itchy leg to the correct). So I’m proper there with you making an attempt to determine the very best subsequent steps.
Let’s discuss concerning the satisfaction of avoiding the world’s most annoying bug (and most devastating illness vector).
So…what’s the greatest mosquito repellent on the market?
Answer: DEET. (But you’ve received choices.)
I’ve stated it earlier than and I’ll say it once more: DEET is probably not probably the most pure factor on the planet, however you recognize what’s pure? Disease. Like Dengue fever. Malaria. West Nile Virus. Chikungunya. Zika. All carried and handed by mosquitos. Super pure.
Few issues I need you to know (all backed by proof – see my hyperlinks beneath when you wanna learn extra):
1. There isn’t any product on the market that’s as efficient or lasts so long as DEET in relation to repelling mosquitos, chiggers, fleas, and ticks.
2. DEET is available in every kind of concentrations – from 10% to over 75%.
3. DEET is protected. This has been confirmed repeatedly in quite a few research. It does not trigger most cancers.
4. However – it doesn’t imply that it could’t be generally irritating to our pores and skin and airways, and you ought to be cautious with it. It may cause numb or burning lips, nausea, and complications. But it causes extra issues if ingested than simply if on pores and skin. And some individuals are allergic to DEET.
5. More on security: There have solely been roughly 20 circumstances on the planet of extreme DEET reactions, like a seizure or mind encephalopathy. They had been on account of huge ingestion of DEET (assume a small child consuming a big bottle of it).
6. DEET is protected to make use of as younger as age 2 months. Yes, you learn that appropriately.
7. If your child is 2 months or older, spray the DEET spray in your arms, and wipe it onto their physique. Don’t put it on their arms or face. Use a DEET focus someplace between 10-30%.
8. 10% DEET lasts about 2 hours. 24% lasts about 5 hours. Sweat, rain, wiping, and swimming all make it not final as lengthy.
9. If it’s essential placed on each sunscreen and DEET, apply the sunscreen first, let it soak in for 15 minutes, then spray on the DEET.
10. What do I feel it’s best to use if DEET will not be an possibility for you? Picaridin!
11. Picaridin is plant-based and nearly as efficient as DEET, however you want greater concentrations of it usually and it normally doesn’t final as lengthy. Still although – a great possibility.
12. DEET is healthier than Picaridin in relation to tick safety particularly, however each work.
13. Picaridin is commonly tolerated just a little higher by folks (and clothes). It’s much less pungent and never greasy, and it doesn’t irritate the pores and skin as a lot.
14. Lemon Eucalyptus oil (PMD) is about one-half as efficient as DEET in research (for instance, 30% lemon eucalyptus oil works about as nicely and so long as 15% DEET). Still extra research wanted although. Don’t use this on arms or face of kiddos both; it could irritate the pores and skin and eyes.
15. Citronella is meh.
16. The bracelets simply don’t work. Don’t waste your cash.
17. Botanical oils (sandalwood, lemongrass, citronella, geranium, soybean oils) and important oils are means inferior to DEET, Picaridin, and lemon eucalyptus. They are nicely tolerated with much less irritation, however I don’t assume I’d use these till extra research show they work.
18. There are lots of theories on the market as to why some folks get bitten greater than others. Those theories embrace:
– Blood kind
– The sorts of micro organism residing on our pores and skin
– The quantity of carbon dioxide we exhale (my husband does assume i am stuffed with scorching air….)
– If you’ve just lately had a beer (!!)
I take advantage of DEET on my children and do not actually assume twice about it. I take advantage of someplace between 10-20% and spray it on my arms, after which rub it on them. I keep away from the arms and face. And we take a shower as soon as we have come inside (much less likelihood for pores and skin irritation if it is not on the pores and skin all night time).
Hope this helps you navigate your battle towards these beasts.
Below is the proof I promised:
Efficacy of DEET and lemon eucalyptus in comparison with different merchandise
Efficacy of DEET
DEET Safety in Infants and Lactating/Pregnant Women
Applying DEET to pores and skin doesn’t hurt fetuses
PMD/Lemon Eucalyptus efficacy
Poor Efficacy of Citronella and most wearable bands
Comprehensive take a look at plant-based insect repellents
Get to know Diane Arnaout, M.D.
“Dr. Diane Arnaout is a pediatrician on the Cook Children’s Forest Park observe. If you wish to see her at Forest Park, name 817-336-3800 or click on right here for an appointment. Dr. Diane has been a Cook Children’s doctor since 2011.
She received her undergraduate diploma at Texas A&M University, went to medical faculty on the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio, and accomplished her pediatric residency within the Texas Medical Center at UT Health Science Center in Houston.
She is board-certified by the American Board of Pediatrics. She has two small children, whom she credit as being her hardest (and greatest) academics.