WTVF) – Health officers have confirmed that batches of mosquitoes have examined constructive for West Nile virus.
The Metro Public Health Department stated Friday that that is the primary time this yr mosquitoes have examined constructive for the virus in Nashville. The mosquitoes had been trapped within the following places:
- Donelson neighborhood close to the intersection of McGavock Pike and Lebanon Pike
- Pennington Bend Neighborhood close to the intersection of McGavock Pike and Pennington Bend Road
- Inglewood neighborhood close to the intersection of Gallatin Pike and Hart Lane
The division stated employees will mail details about mosquito safety and prevention to addresses within the areas near the place the mosquitoes had been trapped. They will even monitor standing water on the lookout for mosquito larvae.
Staff started trapping mosquitoes in all components of Davidson County the primary week in May. There have been no human instances reported in Davidson County and well being officers say there are not any plans to spray to kill grownup mosquitoes.
The Health Department recommends taking the next steps to guard towards biting mosquitoes, together with:
- Limit time outdoor at nightfall and nighttime hours when mosquitoes are current.
- If you should be outdoor then put on a mosquito repellent that’s accepted to be used by the CDC – these embody merchandise that comprise DEET, Picaridin, and Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.
- Wear footwear, socks, lengthy sleeve shirts and pants when outdoor throughout nightfall to daybreak when mosquitoes are most prevalent. Clothing needs to be mild coloured and made from tightly woven supplies to maintain mosquitoes away from the pores and skin. Pant legs needs to be tucked into footwear or socks, and collars needs to be buttoned.
- Make certain your home windows and doorways have screens and are in good restore.
Health Department officers suggest taking steps to scale back mosquito breeding areas. This consists of:
- Reduce or remove all standing water in your yard – particularly in kids’s toys, chicken baths, clogged gutters, tires, flowerpots, trashcans, and wheelbarrows.
- Aerate decorative swimming pools or inventory them with Gambusia fish.
- Apply mosquito dunks in standing water areas in your property.
- Cut again overgrown vegetation (mosquito hiding areas).