A human case of West Nile virus has been recognized within the Haldimand-Norfolk area by the world’s well being unit.
West Nile virus exercise normally peaks in late summer time, with instances being reported into the autumn months. It is anticipated that the virus will proceed to pose a threat till temperatures are beneath freezing, the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit mentioned in a media launch.
The HNHU is reminding the general public to take precautions in opposition to the West Nile virus.
“This case serves as a reminder that we all the time must take steps to forestall mosquito bites. This consists of eradicating standing water out of your property and making use of mosquito repellent containing DEET when spending time outdoor,” Sarah Titmus, program supervisor of infectious illness for HNHU, mentioned in a press launch.
The well being unit supplied different steps to guard your self from West Nile virus:
– Avoid being outdoor at nightfall and daybreak when mosquitoes are most energetic.
– Wear mild colored clothes with lengthy sleeves and pants.
– Check the screens on home windows and doorways to verify they’re in good restore and freed from tears or holes.
– Change water in chook baths each second day.
– Make certain eavestroughs drain correctly.
– Cover openings in rain barrels.
Most folks contaminated with the virus is not going to have any signs. Some folks could expertise flu-like signs equivalent to fever, headache and physique aches. Those with weakened immune techniques are at greater threat of experiencing extra severe well being results equivalent to meningitis, encephalitis and acute flaccid paralysis. If you expertise any signs the HNHU recommends you search medical consideration.