A Michigan resident has been contaminated with Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), a harmful mosquito-borne virus that may shortly flip deadly, state well being officers introduced. EEE is without doubt one of the extra harmful mosquito-borne ailments within the United States, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) report, with a 33 p.c fatality charge. Many survivors of the sickness will be left with lasting mind injury.
The particular person, from Allegan County, was hospitalized with the illness in late August.
EEE may be very uncommon within the U.S. with only some circumstances reported throughout the nation every year, in response to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Get Breaking News Delivered to Your Inbox
In the previous, sure elements of Michigan have skilled outbreaks of the mosquito-borne illness, the newest of which occurring within the southwestern area within the 1980s, mid-1990s and 2010. This is the primary human case reported within the state since 2016, when three individuals have been contaminated, officers report.
Symptoms of an EEE an infection embody chills, fever, and joint and muscle ache. Other indicators can embody headache, irritability, restlessness, drowsiness, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, cyanosis, convulsions, and coma.
Death sometimes happens two to 10 days after onset of signs however can happen a lot later, in response to the CDC.
– Study identifies 6 totally different “varieties” of COVID-19
– FDA expands checklist of doubtless lethal hand sanitizers
– Federal “pink zone” of extreme outbreaks expands to 21 states
– Another recall of doubtless poisonous hand sanitizers bought nationwide
– Philly reverses college reopening plan after fierce opposition
Michigan well being officers warn that mosquito-borne diseases will proceed to be a difficulty within the state till late fall when nighttime temperatures constantly fall beneath freezing.
“There continues to be loads of mosquito season left in Michigan,” Dr. Eden Wells, MDHHS chief medical government, mentioned in a press release. “When open air, Michigan residents are urged to take precautions to guard themselves and their households from mosquito bites together with utilizing mosquito repellent and sporting lengthy pants and lengthy sleeves.”
People ought to take the next steps to keep away from mosquito bites and defend themselves from mosquito-borne ailments:
- Avoid being open air at nightfall and daybreak when mosquitoes are most lively.
- Wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and lengthy pants when open air.
- Apply insect repellents that comprise the lively ingredient DEET or different EPA accepted product to uncovered pores and skin or clothes.
- Use nets and/or followers over out of doors consuming areas.
- Maintain window and door screening to assist preserve mosquitoes out of buildings.
- Empty water from mosquito breeding websites akin to buckets, unused kiddie swimming pools, previous tires or related websites the place mosquitoes lay eggs.