With the rising numbers of West Nile virus instances within the state, the Louisiana Department of Health (DHH) is urging residents to be vigilant and shield themselves from mosquitoes. This week, LDH confirmed 10 new instances of West Nile virus, of which seven had been neuroinvasive illness instances, bringing this yr’s complete to 52 reported infections. Prior to those new instances, in keeping with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s August 19, 2014 weekly West Nile Virus report, Louisiana had the second highest variety of West Nile virus neuroinvasive illness instances.
LDH points a weekly Arbovirus Surveillance Report that particulars instances detected so far by parish. This week’s new infections embody neuroinvasive illness instances in Ascension (1), East Baton Rouge (5) and Ouachita (1) parishes. There had been three new asymptomatic instances within the state from Caddo (2) and Pointe Coupee (1) parishes. There had been no new West Nile fever instances. This week’s instances might be discovered within the weekly West Nile virus Surveillance report by clicking right here.
“Mosquitoes are out and biting and spreading West Nile virus,” mentioned LDH State Epidemiologist Dr. Raoult Ratard. “Protecting your self could be very easy and it may spare you from getting this illness.”
Humans contract West Nile when they’re bitten by mosquitoes contaminated with the virus. When persons are contaminated with West Nile, the virus will have an effect on them one in all 3 ways. West Nile neuroinvasive illness is essentially the most critical sort, infecting the mind and spinal twine. Neuroinvasive illness can result in dying, paralysis and mind harm. The milder viral an infection is West Nile fever, during which individuals expertise flu-like signs. The majority of people that contract West Nile can be asymptomatic, which suggests they present no signs. These instances are sometimes detected by means of blood donations or in the middle of different routine medical assessments.
About 90 p.c of all instances are asymptomatic, whereas about 10 p.c will develop West Nile fever. Only a really small variety of contaminated people will present the intense signs related to the neuroinvasive illness. Residents who’re 65 years previous and older are at increased danger for problems, however everyone seems to be in danger for an infection.
Last yr, Louisiana noticed 34 instances of West Nile virus neuroinvasive illness within the state, which was down from 2002’s excessive of 204 instances of West Nile virus neuroinvasive illness. LDH has been monitoring West Nile Virus for greater than a decade, and statistics about its prevalence in Louisiana might be discovered on-line at www.dhh.louisiana.gov/fightthebite.
– If you’ll be outdoors, it’s best to put on a mosquito repellent containing DEET. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that repellents ought to include not more than 30 p.c DEET when used on kids. Insect repellents additionally are usually not advisable for youngsters youthful than 2 months of age. CDC recommends that you simply at all times observe the suggestions showing on the product label when utilizing repellent.
– Apply repellent on uncovered pores and skin and clothes. Do not apply underneath your garments or on damaged pores and skin.
– To apply repellent to your face, spray in your palms after which rub in your face, avoiding your eyes.
– Adults ought to at all times apply repellent to kids.
– Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants when outside for lengthy intervals of time.
– Avoid perfumes and colognes when outside for prolonged intervals of time.
– Make positive that your own home has tight-fitting home windows and doorways, and that each one screens are freed from holes.
Protecting Your Home
– Reduce the mosquito inhabitants by eliminating standing water round your own home, which is the place mosquitoes breed.
– Dispose of tin cans, ceramic pots and different pointless containers which have amassed in your property. Turn over wheelbarrows, plastic wading swimming pools, buckets, trash cans, kids’s toys or something that might gather water.
– Drill holes within the backside of outside recycling containers. Drainage holes which might be situated on the container sides gather sufficient water for mosquitoes to breed.
– Check and clear roof gutters routinely. They are sometimes missed, however can produce hundreds of thousands of mosquitoes every season.
– Aerate decorative swimming pools or inventory them with fish. Water gardens can change into main mosquito producers if they’re allowed to stagnate.
– Clean and chlorinate swimming swimming pools that aren’t getting used. A swimming pool that’s left untended by a household for a month can produce sufficient mosquitoes to lead to neighborhood-wide complaints. Be conscious that mosquitoes could even breed within the water that collects on swimming pool covers.
Chikungunya Fever/Dengue Fever
LDH continues to observe chikungunya fever and dengue fever, and embody any reported instances in its weekly Arbovirus Surveillance Summary. This week, there are two new instances of chikungunya fever, and no new instances of dengue fever in Louisiana. So far this yr, there have been 10 instances of chikungunya fever and one case of dengue fever. All of the Louisiana’s reported chikungunya fever and dengue fever infections passed off whereas the people had been outdoors of the United States.
Anyone touring overseas also needs to take the precautions listed above to guard themselves from mosquitoes in different international locations. Mosquitoes in different components of the world together with the Caribbean, South America, Asia, Africa or Europe would possibly infect you with chikungunya or dengue fever. For extra details about these ailments, go to the CDC’s web site by clicking right here.