FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — The discovery of a mosquito carrying the West Nile virus in Norwalk final week renews the summer season concern of insect bites.
The Connecticut Mosquito Management Program advises one of the simplest ways to keep away from the West Nile virus is to decrease your threat of being bitten by mosquitoes.
Here are steps to take to keep away from the annoying summer season pests, in keeping with the Mosquito Management Program:
– Minimize time spent outdoor between nightfall and daybreak when mosquitoes are most lively.
– Be positive door and window screens are tight-fitting and in good restore.
– Wear footwear, socks, lengthy pants and a long-sleeved shirt when outdoor for lengthy durations or when mosquitoes are most lively. Clothing must be mild coloured and manufactured from tightly woven supplies that preserve mosquitoes away from the pores and skin.
– Use mosquito netting when sleeping outdoor or in an unscreened construction and to guard infants when outdoor.
– Consider using mosquito repellent, in keeping with instructions, when outdoor.
Restricting mosquito breeding habitats can tremendously reduce the potential for West Nile virus to turn out to be a big human well being risk, the Connecticut Mosquito Management Program says.
To shield you and your loved ones from mosquitoes and the West Nile virus, it advises you:
– Reduce the quantity of standing water out there for mosquito breeding round your own home.
– Empty standing water from used or discarded tires, together with tire swings, which will have accrued in your property.
– Dispose of cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots or comparable water-holding containers. Do not overlook containers which have turn out to be overgrown by vegetation.
– Drill holes within the backside of recycling containers which might be left exterior. Drainage holes on the edges accumulate sufficient water for mosquitoes to breed.
– Clean clogged roof gutters yearly. Roof gutters can produce hundreds of thousands of mosquitoes every season.
– Turn over plastic wading swimming pools when not in use. A wading pool turns into a mosquito producer if it’s not used often.
– Turn over wheelbarrows and don’t permit water to stagnate in birdbaths. Change water in birdbaths and wading swimming pools weekly.
– Aerate decorative swimming pools or inventory them with fish. Water gardens are modern however turn out to be main mosquito producers in the event that they stagnate.
– Clean and chlorinate swimming swimming pools, even when not getting used. A swimming pool left untended throughout a trip can produce sufficient mosquitoes to lead to neighborhood-wide complaints. Mosquitoes could breed within the water that collects on swimming pool covers.
– Use landscaping to get rid of standing water that collects in your property. Mosquitoes can develop in any puddle that lasts greater than seven to 10 days.