Being “eaten by mosquitoes” is an disagreeable expertise, no matter your age. The first line of protection is subsequently to guard your self with bodily boundaries. A mosquito internet is good for infants and younger kids in strollers or who’re positioned to play at a particular location at a park. Take the time to regulate it correctly and examine it usually to detect any openings or tears that would permit an insect to go by.
How to guard your self from insect bites
It is advisable to put on lengthy, unfastened, light-coloured clothes. Avoid tight-fitting garments as a result of mosquitoes are sometimes in a position to chew by the material into the pores and skin. Mosquitoes are much less interested in lighter colours, and are additionally simpler to identify on them, and subsequently might be swatted off extra rapidly.
Forget being modern and undertake the brand new anti-mosquito development: tuck your pant legs into your socks and your shirt into your pants, as a result of mosquitoes can simply sneak underneath unfastened clothes!
Experts additionally suggest staying inside within the morning and on the finish of the day, occasions when mosquitoes are sometimes most energetic, however this isn’t all the time potential and a few biting bugs are energetic all day!
How to decide on the proper insect repellent
Despite these measures, generally a further line of protection is welcome. You can then use an insect repellent. This is a product that retains bugs away from you for some time to forestall them from biting. They are usually out there as a twig, cream, lotion or gel for utility onto the pores and skin (and generally to clothes).
DEET might be the best-known insect repellent that’s utilized to the pores and skin. The period of its repellent impact will increase with the product’s focus: a product that comprises 30% DEET will repel for an extended period (roughly 6.5 hours) than a product that comprises 10% (roughly three hours). Therefore, extra concentrated merchandise are advisable for folks 12 years of age or older, as their longer impact implies that they don’t have to be reapplied typically. For kids underneath 12, the next pointers ought to be adopted:
- Children aged 2 to 12 years: Use a product with a DEET focus not exceeding 10%, and restrict the variety of purposes to 3 per day.
- Children aged 6 months to 2 years: Use a product with a DEET focus not exceeding 10%, and restrict the variety of purposes to 1 per day.
- Babies underneath 6 months: All merchandise containing DEET usually are not advisable.
Since a product containing 10% DEET will solely have a short-term impact, younger kids is not going to be protected for as lengthy a period as adults utilizing this product. What different choices can be found to them?
Icaridin (additionally referred to as picaridin) is an insect repellent whose effectiveness and well being security are acknowledged by the World Health Organization. Like DEET, the period of its repellent impact is longer with larger concentrations. The period of safety for 20% icaridin is estimated to be just like that for 30% DEET. In Canada, 20% icaridin merchandise can be utilized from the age of six months. The Canadian Pediatric Society recommends these repellents as the primary selection for kids 6 months to 12 years of age.
Soybean oil, lemon eucalyptus oil and lemongrass are different repellents out there in Canada. They usually are not as efficient as DEET and icaridin. Lemongrass merchandise have a really short-lasting impact (about 30 to 120 minutes) and eucalyptus oil shouldn’t be advisable for kids three years of age or youthful. Some folks think about these insect repellents to be safer as a result of they arrive from “pure merchandise”, however as with every product utilized to the pores and skin (whether or not insect repellent or different), some folks have a low tolerance for them, together with redness and itching on the web site of utility.
How to correctly apply insect repellent
Regardless of the product chosen, you should observe its guidelines for utility:
- Apply a skinny layer of repellent to all uncovered pores and skin. With younger kids, it is strongly recommended to keep away from making use of in on the palms, as a result of they danger getting the product into their eyes or mouth.
- Never apply repellents close to your eyes or mouth and keep away from utilizing aerosol or pump merchandise in your face.
- Apply aerosol merchandise open air or in a well-ventilated space, away from meals.
- Some aerosol repellents might be sprayed onto garments or mosquito nets.
- Before making use of a repellent, ensure that the pores and skin is wholesome (e.g., no cuts, scratches, pores and skin situations like eczema or sunburn).
- If you additionally want sunscreen, apply it first and wait about 20 minutes earlier than making use of the repellent. Avoid merchandise containing each sunscreen and repellents.
Beware of allergic reactions
Repellents repel mosquitoes and a few could repel ticks, however they provide no safety towards bites from wasps or different biting bugs that may trigger a extreme allergic response. People with allergy symptoms ought to all the time carry a minimum of two gadgets with them to inject epinephrine (e.g., Epipentm, Allerjecttm) , particularly if the closest hospital is greater than fifteen minutes away1.